CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
The Department of Sports Organization and Management (in Sparta-Greece) of the University of Peloponnese in collaboration with the International Olympic Academy organizes for the Academic year of 2023-2024 the Master’s Degree Programme.
The Master’s Degree Programme in Olympic Studies constitutes an innovation in the Olympic Movement at an international level and is supported by the Olympic Solidarity (International Olympic Committee) with a number of scholarships. The educational programme is based on the three pillars of the Olympic Movement: Education, Sports, and Culture, which constitute the foundation of Olympism and Olympic Pedagogy.
The philosophy of the programme is consistent with the philosophy of the Olympic Movement for the diffusion of the Olympic ideal worldwide, the promotion of knowledge and research in Olympic issues and global participation.
The Master’s degree Programme’s title is “Olympic Studies, Olympic Education, Organization and Management of Olympic Events” (MSc).
- The promotion of knowledge and research on issues of Olympic philosophy and Olympic Pedagogy, Olympic Education, organization and management of Olympic Games, Mega events and in general Olympic and sport studies.
- To provide students with specialized knowledge at a postgraduate level on issues related to Olympic Studies as well as the necessary means for their academic, professional or research career.
- To provide a specialized workforce that will organize and direct Olympic and athletic institutions, promote the growth of programmes of Olympic education on an international level and contribute to the creation of a scientific background for the growth and organization of sports.
The following categories of students may be admitted to the Master’s Degree Programme: bachelor degree holders from Greek and foreign Higher Educational Institutions, preferably officials of National Olympic Academies, National Olympic Committees, the International Olympic Committee, International Federations, National Federations and EU Committees for Education, Culture and Sport or researchers of Centers for Olympic Studies, Schools of Sports Organization and Management, Physical Education, Journalism, Economic Faculties, Pedagogy Faculties, Humanities and other Departments, as well as corresponding Departments of recognized institutions of equivalent status in Greece and abroad. The number of students is limited to forty (40).
DURATION OF PROGRAMME
The duration of the programme is three (3) semesters. Students are required to attend two semesters (winter and summer, 9 weeks per semester) of lectures in Greece. The third semester is dedicated to the preparation of the master thesis at the student’s place.
The programme will take place in Ancient Olympia, in collaboration with the International Olympic Academy, and in the facilities of the University of Peloponnese in Sparta.
Kindly note that, in both, Ancient Olympia and Sparta students are allocated in twin rooms.
The presence of the students at all the lectures is mandatory and the submission of module assignments and examinations at the end of each semester as well as the dissertation project at the end of the 3rd semester will determine the success of the participants in this programme. All lectures are held in English language.
1. The history and philosophy of sport in Antiquity: the birth of sport and its evolution
2. The modern Olympic Games (revival, historic development of the Summer and Winter Olympic Games - social, political and cultural aspects of the Olympic Games - Olympic Institutions - Olympic Law)
3. Sport and Ethics – Olympic Philosophy
4. Olympic Pedagogy I: Development and implementation of Olympic education programmes in schools
5. Research methods in Social Sciences and Olympic Studies
1. Olympic Pedagogy II: Development and implementation of Olympic education programmes in schools
2. Olympic Games and major sports events: Organization and management
3. Sports marketing and Olympic sponsoring
Optional Modules (2 from below)
1. Olympic Movement and International relations
2. Integrity in sport
3. Strategic and operational planning of major sports events
4. Financial management of sports organizations
5. Sport policies
Preparation, submission and presentation of Master’s Thesis.
TUITION FEES & BOARDING COST
The tuition fees for the programme payable by the students are 5.000,00 Euros (cost per student) for the three semesters. (They are due and payable in three (3) installments, before the beginning of each semester. Additionally, the cost of full boarding at the IOA premises costs 3.500,00 Euros in total for both semesters.
Students have the possibility to apply through their National Olympic Committees for a scholarship offered by Olympic Solidarity (IOC) for the tuition fees cost. Olympic Solidarity will provide 10 scholarships for the academic year 2023-24.
Please, also note that students have the possibility to apply through their National Olympic Committees for a scholarship offered by Olympic Solidarity (IOC) for the tickets cost and/or for full boarding cost in the IOA premises.
Applicants who are interested may declare it in the application form and contact their National Olympic Committees or National Olympic Academies for further information.
For more information on the application procedure as well as the complete text of the call for applications, please check the website: https://olympicmaster.uop.gr/ under the “Admission” section.In case you have any further enquiries, please contact the Secretariat of the Master’s Degree programme at:
Tel.: +30 210 6878952